Get my honest opinion about the best Beautycounter products, why I believe in the Beautycounter mission, and learn how save money on Beautycounter whether you are a new or returning customer.
I am a Beautycounter consultant and will receive commissions if you choose me as a consultant. Full Disclosure
You might not know this but I’ve been an activist for safer product laws for many years. In addition to the work I do here at Mindful Momma, I also worked for a non-profit advocacy group called Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families – doing content writing and social media work.
In 2013, a new beauty products company came along called Beautycounter. When I learned that my co-worker Lindsay, from Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families, was joining Beautycounter as their VP of Social Mission, I knew that this company was dedicated to safer products!
Introduction to Beautycounter
Maybe you’ve heard of Beautycounter before, or perhaps it’s new to you. Either way, I thought it would be helpful to do a little Beautycounter review, so you could get to know the brand better.
Beautycounter was founded by a woman named Gregg Renfrew, who was appalled to learn that the products she used on herself and her kids might not be safe. She discovered that the U.S. only bans 30 ingredients from personal-care products, and the major federal regulation had not been updated since 1938.
So Gregg set out to transform the beauty industry by creating clean, high-performing skin care and makeup products, while fighting to change the laws to regulate the industry.
3 Reasons To Love Beautycounter
Here are the 3 main reasons I love and recommend the Beautycounter brand:
1.) Mission: To get safer products into the hands of everyone. Such a wonderful mission – and they work hard to meet it.
2.) Advocacy: Beautycounter doesn’t just say they want safer products, they actively lobby for updated chemical laws.
3.) Products: Beautycounter products really are excellent! From skincare products and personal care products, to hair products and makeup, Beautycounter has mastered the art of making beautifully effective natural products from safe, non-toxic ingredients.
The Beautycounter Difference
Wondering how Beautycounter products differ from conventional beauty and other natural beauty brands? They have extremely high standards for ingredients and packaging, including transparency and sourcing. In fact, Beautycounter’s Blueprint for Clean outlines 12 safety standards that all of their manufacturing partners must adhere to.
- Beautycounter has a Never List of over 2800 banned ingredients that are harmful chemicals they will never use.
- They regularly screen ingredients for potential contamination from heavy metals and other hazards.
- A full ingredient list is available on the product labels and the website, including known components of fragrances, flavors, and preservatives (FYI – preservatives are necessary but used in the smallest possible amounts).
- They take ingredient transparency to the next level with their dedication to responsible sourcing (if you haven’t read up on the challenges of Mica in the beauty industry, you should!)
- Many Beautycounter products are EWG-Verified (the highest standard for personal care by the EWG)
- Certified through the Leaping Bunny program to be cruelty-free
- Beautycounter is a Certified B Corporation, which means they meet high standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.
- Beautycounter has made a commitment to making product packaging as sustainable as possible. They opt for glass whenever possible and safe plastics when necessary. Extra packaging is minimized and everything is recyclable.
- They have made a commitment that by 2025, 100% of their packaging will be recycled, recyclable, refillable, reused or compostable.
- Utilize a “never list” for packaging that prohibits or restricts harmful materials like BPA or plastics that contain phthalates.
- Committed to developing refillable products where possible (like the Clean Deo and Cheeky Clean Cream Blush).
- Utilize How2Recycle labels on product packaging to make it easier for customers to know how what to do with their empties.
Read Beautycounter’s full Social Mission Report to learn about all of the green & healthy goals they have met during the past year.
The Best Beautycounter Products
When it comes to product safety and transparency, Beautycounter is one of the best natural beauty companies around. They have a full range of skin care, body care, hair care and makeup products made with clean ingredients. Beautycounter has products for all skin types and skin tones. Plus they frequently introduce new products to their collection!
I’d be hard pressed to choose just one favorite product from Beautycounter, but the one product that I use almost daily and could not live without is the Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer. It’s my go-to daily facial cream because it has safe SPF and just the right amount of coverage that leaves my skin looking dewy and natural!
Also, everything in the Countertime line contains bakuchiol, which has been shown to provide skin-care results that are comparable to retinol—without the harmful side effects. This skincare line works wonders on my dry, aging skin!
Here are some of my favorite products from Beautycounter in every category:
Best Beautycounter Skincare Products
Favorite Beautycounter Cleanser: Counter+ Lotus Glow Cleansing Balm
- A multi-tasking cleansing balm that cleanses, removes makeup and nourishes skin all at the same time.
- This was one of the first Beautycounter products I tried and I was instantly hooked! I use this at night and it feels so good for my dry skin.
- Learn more about how to use Beautycounter cleansing balm
Favorite Beautycounter Toner: Countertime Mineral Boost Hydrating Essence
- Like a toner, but better, this milky, moisturizing liquid adds nutrients to the skin and boosts hydration.
- Use after cleansing and before serums or moisturizers.
- This product smells amazing and feels so good on my skin. If I could buy a gallon of it, I would!
- EWG VERIFIED™
Favorite Beautycounter Serum: Counter+ All Bright C Serum
- A blend of two potent forms of Vitamin C, this game-changing serum instantly brightens skin, reduces dark spots and helps even skin tone.
- I’ve tried a bunch and this is my favorite Vitamin C serum! It has a bright citrus scent that I love.
- EWG VERIFIED™
Favorite Beautycounter Day Moisturizer: Countermatch Adaptive Moisture Lotion
- A lightweight lotion that adapts to the skin’s moisture needs throughout the day and provides up to 24-hours of hydration.
- This is a wonderfully nourishing moisturizer for daytime use.
- EWG VERIFIED™
Favorite Beautycounter Night Moisturizer: Countertime Tetrapeptide Supreme Cream
- A rich, anti-aging moisturizer that minimizes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Made with a plant-derived, natural retinol alternative (Retinatural Complex is a mixture of Bakuchiol and Swiss Alpine rose)
- This is such a luxurious cream that literally melts into your skin and leaves it feeling oh-so-soft!
- EWG VERIFIED™
Favorite Beautycounter Facial Oil: All Bright Brightening Facial Oil
- A blend of nourishing oils, plus a boost of Vitamin C to brighten and even out skin tone.
- I’m a huge facial oil fan and this one is a favorite!
- It has the same citrus scent as the Vitamin C Serum.
Favorite Beautycounter Eye Cream: Countertime Ultra Renewal Eye Cream
- A high-performance eye cream that reduces the appearance of under-eye shadows and crow’s feet.
- Love that it has Retinatural Complex and all you need is a tiny bit!
- Use morning and night
Favorite Beautycounter Treatment: Reflect Effect Overnight Resurfacing Peel
- A leave-on AHA/BHA treatment mask that leaves skin looking smoother and with a radiant glow.
- Uses a proprietary blend of glycolic, malic, and botanically derived lactic acid for a gentle exfoliation.
- This overnight peel is a must-have product in my opinion. I love that it my skin while I sleep!
Favorite Beautycounter Mask: Reflect Effect AHA Smoothing Facial Mask
- A gel-based face mask that transforms dull, tired skin in just 10 minutes.
- Uses a blend of chemical and physical exfoliants, including AHA glycolic acid and bamboo particles.
- Love the feel of this mask when I use it – the cooling gel and mild exfoliation from the bamboo. And it leaves my face so soft and smooth!
Best Beautycounter Bath & Body Products
Favorite Beautycounter Haircare Product: Daily Conditioner
- A daily conditioner that hydrates, conditions and detangles all at once.
- Comes in a refillable aluminum bottle
- Not many conditioners are a match for my thick and curly hair but this one works wonders! It leaves my hair so soft and easy to comb through.
- A clean deodorant that absorbs sweat and neutralizes odor, without harmful chemicals.
- The Clean Deo is refillable and comes in a choice of four scents (Rose is my favorite)
- I LOVE this deodorant and the fact that it is refillable makes it even better!
- EWG VERIFIED™
Favorite Beautycounter Sunscreen: Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Lotion
- A sunscreen lotion made with non-nano zinc for SPF 30 protection in a nourishing formula that blends in easily.
- This is my go-to sunscreen lotion for summer – love that it has minimal white residue!
- EWG VERIFIED™
Best Beautycounter Makeup Products
Favorite BeautycounterTinted SPF: Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer
- A multitasking tinted moisturizer that provides sheer, lightweight coverage and SPF 20 mineral sunscreen.
- They have a wide variety of shades to meet your skin tone needs. (I use shade #3)
- This is my most frequently purchased item from Beautycounter – I just love the dewy finish!
Favorite Beautycounter Blush: Cheeky Clean Cream Blush
- This moisturizing cream blush provides buildable color for cheeks (and lips).
- Mirrored compact is refillable
- Comes in eight shades – my personal favorite is #6 – Lychee
Favorite Beautycounter Highlighter: Cheeky Clean Highlighting Balm
- A creamy highlighter balm made with responsibly sourced mica for a subtle, shimmery glow
- I just treated myself to this in the Cosmo shade and I love it so much!
- EWG VERIFIED™
Favorite Beautycounter Lip Gloss: Beyond Gloss
- A lip gloss made to deliver high-impact shine and moisturizing benefits together.
- Comes in 14 color choices that are all flavored with ECOCERT-certified organic vanilla.
- Love the way this lip gloss looks, feels and tastes! My favorite color is Magnolia Shimmer.
Favorite Beautycounter Eye Shadow: Lid Glow Cream Shadow
- A creamy, crease-free eye shadow that provides glowy, pearlescent color that is buildable.
- Made using sustainable mica and available in ten gorgeous shades.
- I prefer my eye shadow to be subtle, but long lasting and this does the trick! (I use the shade Aura which is a brightening, soft beige)
Favorite Beautycounter Mascara: Think Big All-in-One Mascara
- A clean mascara that gives you lift, length, and volume, while strengthening lashes.
- Available in true black pigment
- What can I say – I love this mascara!
- P.S. Beautycounter’s Eye Makeup Remover is amazing for cleaning up mascara and other makeup at the end of the day.
Save Money as a Rewards Member
One way to save money on Beautycounter products is to become a rewards member (previously called Band of Beauty.) For a $29 annual membership fee you get the following benefits:
- Free shipping on qualifying orders of $100
- 10% product credit on applicable orders (saves you $ on future orders)
- A welcome gift when you spend $50 on products. The current Beautycounter welcome gift is the Glow First Priming Serum (value $65).
- Exclusive member offers
If you plan to purchase Beautycounter products more than once throughout the year, a membership will definitely be worth it! PRO TIP: Combine with other Beautycounter deals and free gift offers to save even more money!
Beautycounter Promo Code
Good news! Beautycounter offers a great discount code for new customers – so you can try Beautycounter products for less! New customers can usually get a promo code for 20% off or more when you sign up for the Beautycounter mailing list.
I’m always happy to answer any questions you have about Beautycounter – feel free to send me an email at [email protected]
Note: I will try my best to keep this updated! Beautycounter specials change frequently. You can always find the latest deals on my Beautycounter website.
To summarize, if you are looking for the best clean beauty products, without harmful ingredients, from an ethical, socially conscious company, Beautycounter is for you!
What is Beautycounter’s return policy?
Beautycounter has a generous return policy, making it easy to shop without concern of ending up with products that don’t work for you. If you are unsatisfied with a product for any reason, you can return it for a full refund the purchase price (excluding the original shipping and handling fees) within 60 days.
Is Beautycounter cruelty free?
Yes! Beautycounter products are never tested on animals and they require that all contract manufacturers confirm that they do not test on animals either.
Are Beautycounter products vegan?
Beautycounter is not a vegan brand but many of their products are formulated without animal-derived ingredients. You can find a list of their vegan products here (scroll down to bottom of page)
Are Beautycounter products organic?
Beautycounter uses many organic ingredients in their products and they are marked with an asterisk in the ingredient listing.
Are Beautycounter products “natural”?
Beautycounter uses mostly ingredients that are natural or naturally derived, and they use some safer synthetic ingredients too. There is no legal definition of “natural” for the personal care and cosmetic industry.
Do you have any favorite Beautycounter products? Let me know in the comments!