A roundup of the best non-toxic shampoo brands for every type of hair, including natural shampoo for babies and affordable family-sized shampoo.
Wavy, straight, colored, curly, thick or fine – we all have our own unique hair. Whether we love our hair or wish we could trade it in for a completely different set of locks, we all use shampoo to manage our hair and keep it looking its best.
But we don’t all use the same shampoo. Shampoo is personal. As I’m sure you know, it can take some experimentation to find the shampoo that works best for your own hair.
Because of that, I would never try to convince you to use one particular shampoo. Just as you wouldn’t wear the same clothes as me, I wouldn’t expect you to use the same shampoo. But I would like to convince you of this: Stop using that conventional shampoo brand and make the switch to a safe, natural, non-toxic shampoo instead.
RELATED: 4 Good Reasons to Buy Natural, Non-Toxic Products for Your Home & Life
Why You Should Switch to Non-Toxic Shampoo
I know, I know! Switching shampoo is hard! But here’s the thing. Shampoo is a product you use frequently – whether it’s once a day or once a week – it still adds up to a lot of shampoo over the course of time.
Most shampoo is a chemical soup that foams like crazy and smells strongly of something that didn’t come from nature. The chemicals that make all that happen can be harmful to you and to the environment – and in the grand scheme of things, it just isn’t worth it.
Here are the primary things you’ll want to avoid in shampoo:
- Sulfates – Sodium lauryl and laureth sulfates are foaming agents and can be contaminated with 1,4 dioxane, a probable carcinogen.
- Certain preservatives – This includes parabens which are linked to breast cancer and hormone disruption, as well as DMDM hydantoin, which releases formaldehyde. (FYI – some type of preservatives are necessary in shampoo but safer ones exist.)
- Artificial fragrances – The term fragrance is a catchall for thousands of chemicals including hormone disrupting phthalates, as well as skin irritants and allergens.
- Petroleum products – Ingredients that come from non-renewable resources are not environmentally friendly.
Luckily, the developers at many different socially and environmentally responsible companies have mastered the art of non-toxic shampoo made with safe, natural and organic ingredients. There are many great choices and because we all have different needs, I’ve split up my non-toxic shampoo recommendations into four sections:
- my personal favorites
- some super affordable family-sized shampoos
- the best baby shampoos around
- reader recommendations
Rest assured, all shampoos listed here are phthalate free and made without the harmful chemicals found in most conventional shampoo brands.
Favorite Non-Toxic Shampoo Brands
I may receive commissions from purchases made through links in this article. Full Disclosure
My hair is very thick and on the dry side, so you’ll notice the products I recommend are for my kinda hair. However, these companies make shampoo for lots of different hair types. Please take my word for it – these are awesome brands that I trust to make great shampoo for your type of hair too! I’ve noted the formulas of shampoo the company makes under each brand listing.
- Salon quality products made with many certified organic ingredients.
- Shampoo formulas: normal, fine and dry and damaged hair
- What I use and why I like it: The Evening Primrose Shampoo for dry hair is super hydrating with a luxurious feel and is safe for color-treated hair.
- Price: $16 for 8-oz
- An innovative B-Corporation that is committed to bringing safer beauty products to everyone.
- Shampoo formulas: daily (for all hair types), volume & shape, smooth & control and repair & nourish
- What I use and why I like it: Beautycounter Daily Shampoo leaves my hair feeling SO clean and soft. This plus the Beautycounter Daily Conditioner are a perfect pair for soft, shiny hair! It’s my favorite hair conditioner ever!
- Price: $23 for 10-oz
- A pioneer in the natural personal care products business who uses many organic ingredients in their products.
- Shampoo formulas: dry, normal and oily as well as specialty formulas for all hair types
- Why I like it: Aubrey’s Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo for dry hair is a great everyday shampoo and has a lovely light floral scent.
- Price: $10.89 for 11-oz (or $7.49 at Thrive Market)
- Alaffia is a mission-based company, focused on fair trade and sustainability.
- Shampoo formulas: curly/wavy, dry/damaged, fine/thin hair and more
- What I use and why I like it: Alaffia Shea & Honey Nourishing Shampoo for dry hair is super rich yet has a nice suds and I love the citrus blossom fragrance.
- Price: $12 for 8-oz
- Acure is a family owned company committed to using plant science to deliver effective, natural & organic personal care.
- Shampoo formulas: body, moisture, smoothing, clarifying and volume
- What I use and Why I like it: Acure Mega Moisture Shampoo with Argan Oil & Pumpkin (formerly Ultra-Moisturizing Shampoo) is moisturizing and very affordable.
- Price: $9.99 for 12-oz ( or $6.19 at Thrive Market)
- A Minnesota-based company (local to me!) making zero waste shampoo bars & conditioner bars that really work.
- Shampoo formulas: Clarifying, Moisturizing and Volumizing (matching conditioner available for each)
- What I use and Why I like it: I have the Moisturizing Solid Shampoo and Conditioner bars and they are fantastic! Love how easy they are to hold in the shower!
- Price: $13.95 per bar (equivalent to 16-oz bottle of shampoo)
Family-Sized Non-Toxic Shampoo
OK I know I was saying earlier that shampoo is personal and we all need different shampoo formulas to manage our own hair type. However, when you have a family, especially with young kids, it’s likely that you can get away with one basic shampoo that will work for almost everyone. Here are some of the affordable natural shampoos that we keep stocked in our family bathroom.
- Affordable, family sized shampoo made with fair trade shea butter.
- What we use: Everyday Shea Vanilla Mint Shampoo
- Price: $14.99 for 32-oz ($8.69 at Thrive Market)
Whole Foods 365
- Everyday value shampoo free of parabens, sulfates and artificial ingredients.
- What we use: Citrus Grapefruit Shampoo
- Price: $7.99 for 32-oz
- Affordable natural shampoos made with non-toxic ingredients.
- What we use: Calming Tea Tree & Sea Buckthorn Shampoo
- Price: $9.95 for 18-oz ($5.99 at Thrive Market)
Non-Toxic Baby Shampoo
Babies tiny bodies can’t process chemicals the way the rest of us so extra care should be taken with shampoo used on infants. Here are some of the safest baby shampoos around. You’ll notice many of them double as baby wash as well! (find more natural baby care brands here)
- A company dedicated to pure, safe products for babies and moms.
- Recommended product: Earth Mama Baby Wash & Shampoo
- Price: $9.99 for 5.3 oz ($6.97 at Thrive Market)
- Natural baby care products made with fruit & vegetable ingredients (love that they are MADESAFE Certified!).
- Recommended product: Apple + Broccoli Hair & Body Wash
- Price: $16.99 for 8 oz
BabyTime by Episencial
- Company on a mission to create safe, natural skin care products that support the health of babies skin.
- Recommended product: Peaceful Bubbles Bubble Bath & Shampoo
- Price: $24.50 for 22 oz ($16.99 at Thrive Market)
- Beautycounter creates extra mild formulas just for baby.
- Recommended product: Baby Gentle All-Over Wash (for hair and body)
- Price: $20 for 8 oz
- Babo Botanicals is known for effective natural products for sensitive skin.
- Recommended product: Moisturizing Baby Shampoo & Wash
- Price: $19.95 for 16 oz ($16.99 at Thrive Market)
More Non-Toxic Shampoo Recommendations
When I put out the all-call for favorite natural, non-toxic shampoos boy did I get a lot of responses! Here are some natural shampoo brands that are highly recommended by other bloggers and Mindful Momma readers.
What is your favorite non-toxic shampoo? Let us know in the comments so we all can learn from each other!