Learn why a facial oil serum could be a great addition to your skin care routine, plus discover the best facial oils for your skin type and personal needs.
Just like you crave certain types of food, your skin could be craving certain ingredients to keep it balanced and nourished.
In my experience, my skin craves a blend of nourishing oils and plant extracts, like those found in a facial oil serum. These natural oils and extracts absorb easily into my skin, leaving it moisturized and glowing. What’s not to love about that?
Today, I want to share some of the best oil-based face serums I’ve personally tried – and that keep my skin looking great through dry skin season, and all year round.
What is a Facial Oil Serum?
But first, I want to make sure you know what a facial oil serum is.
When you see the term facial serum on a label, you’ll want to take a look at the label to see what type of serum it is. Facial serums can be either water-based or oil-based.
A water-based serum is very lightweight and absorbs very quickly into the skin. These serums are usually used as a base layer, under your moisturizer or oil.
A facial oil serum is a highly concentrated blend of nourishing oils mixed with powerful plant extracts, intended to penetrate deeply into the skin to deliver the active ingredients and combat specific skin conditions.
Both types of serums can have wonderful benefits for your skin, depending on the ingredients included in the formula. Facial oil serums (also just called facial oils) tend to be rich enough to use on their own (after cleansing and toning), without any added moisturizer on top.
One caveat – I do recommend using a water based serum such as hyaluronic acid underneath a facial oil, in order to lock moisture into your skin (or spritz your skin with a toner before applying facial oil.)
What are the Benefits of a Facial Oil?
Facial oils work to deeply hydrate, moisturize and soften skin as well as protect the skin barrier from environmental stressors. They also help to deliver targeted actives like Vitamin C or CBD to the skin. Facial oils also help to reduce wrinkles and the appearance of fine lines, when used as a regular part of your skincare routine.
I tend to use facial oils at night when I’m not worrying about layering on SPF or foundation. Then, they can simply absorb into my skin and do their good work overnight! But facial oils can certainly be used during the day too, in fact a couple of my recommended products are specifically intended for daytime use.
As you can see, there are lots of benefits to using a facial oil on your skin!
Who Should Use a Facial Oil Serum?
Contrary to what you might think, anyone can use a facial oil serum – even people with oily skin and acne-prone skin. Oily skin is actually a symptom of overly dry skin. I know that might seem counter intuitive, but your skin is producing extra oil to try to moisturize your dry skin. Adding oil to your skin care routine can actually stop your skin from producing so much oil!
If your skin is on the dry side, like mine, it will drink up these oils like nobody’s business! They will add the moisture you need to keep your skin healthy and glowing.
Up for making your own homemade facial oil? My recipe can be customized for any skin type!
Find the Best Facial Oil Serum For Your Needs
I may receive commissions from purchases made through links in this article including Amazon Affiliates. Full Disclosure
Over the years, I’ve tried a a lot of facial oil serums – I’m kind of a facial oil junkie to be honest! Some of them were samples from brands, and some I’ve purchased on my own dime. Needless to say, I’ve done the research on a bunch of natural facial oils, made with clean, non-toxic ingredients. Hopefully the notes below will help you find a natural facial oil that works well for your skin and requirements!
Here are a few things that each of these facial oils have in common:
- Plant-based oils absorb into your skin quickly, leaving no stickiness or greasy residue behind.
- Lovely, subtle scents (no overwhelming perfume smells here) coming from natural essential oils and plant extracts.
- Products are packaged in glass bottles, instead of plastic.
I’ve included a variety of price-points as well, from budget-minded to more luxury brands. Keep in mind, you don’t need more than a few drops of these oils each time. A little goes a long way! (Note: price points were accurate as of December, 2022.)
Onward to the best face oils and serums I’ve tried and recommend:
Ruvi Age-Defying Glow Serum
- Active ingredients: Bataua oil, balsam resin oil, helichrysum oil, sandalwood oil, vanilla extract
- All ingredients are either wild harvested or certified organic
- Has 63 times more Vitamin E than avocado oil
- Scent: Intoxicating sandalwood scent
- Price: $78 for 1-oz
- Best luxurious face oil
True Botanicals Pure Radiance Oil – Renew
- Active ingredients: 14 easily absorbable seed oils, 3 Omega-3 fatty acids, algae extract and astaxanthin
- Organic ingredients: Many ingredients are organic or wild harvested
- MADESAFE certified
- Scent: Naturally scented with jasmine, neroli, and rose
- Price: $110 for 1-oz
- Best luxurious anti-aging facial oil
Prima Night Magic Intensive Facial Oil
- Active ingredients: Broad spectrum hemp CBD, prickly pear, moringa oil and kukui oil
- Organic ingredients: Most ingredients are organic, but a few are not
- MADE SAFE Certified
- Scent: Lovely earthy scent from hemp oil
- Price: $68 for 1-oz
- Best CBD facial oil
Beautycounter All Bright Brightening Facial Oil
- Active ingredients: Vitamin C, marula oil, argan oil, black current oil
- Organic ingredients: Argan oil
- Vitamin C helps visibly brighten skin and reduce dark spots and uneven skin tone
- Scent: Citrus scent from mandarin orange and orange peel essential oils
- Price: $76 for .67-oz bottle
- Best skin brightening facial oil
Pleni Naturals Day Squad Face Oil
- Active ingredients: Vitamin C, tomato fruit extract and turmeric
- Organic ingredients: olive oil, avocado oil, red raspberry seed oil, turmeric oil
- MADE SAFE Certified
- Scent: Earthy floral scent from neroli, turmeric and carrot essential oils
- Price: $48 for 1-oz
- Best daytime facial oil
Avoila Nourishing Face Oil
- Active ingredients: Avocado oil, camillia seed oil, grapeseed oil, Kalahari melon seed oil, rosehip oil, sea buckthorn oil, vitamin E
- Organic ingredients: all ingredients are organic
- Certified Organic by Oregon Tilth
- Scent: Rose geranium, grapefruit and vetiver essential oils
- Price: $72 for 1-oz
- Best facial oil for sensitive skin
Activist Precious Oils Active Infusion
- Active ingredients: Grapeseed, avocado and macadamia nut oils, and Coenzyme Q10
- Organic ingredients: None
- Scent: Light cucumber scent from cucumber fruit extract
- Price: $64 for 1-oz
- Best low waste facial oil (refill pouches available)
OSEA Dayglow Face Oil
- Active ingredients: Grapeseed oil, Argania Spinosa kernel oil, Undaria seaweed, Camelina Sativa seed oil
- Organic ingredients: None
- Lightweight feel, perfect for daytime use
- Scent: Soothing chamomile
- Price: $58 for 1-oz
- Best facial oil for glowing skin
Learn more about OSEA facial and skin care products.
Acure Brightening Glowing Serum
- Active ingredients: Argan, borage, cranberry seed and pumpkin oils
- Organic ingredients: All ingredients are organic
- Certified USDA Organic
- Scent: Light citrus scent from sweet orange and lavender essential oils
- Price: $15 for 1-oz
- Best budget facial oil
Osmia Restore Facial Serum
- Active ingredients: Pomegranate, amaranth, borage, and sea buckthorn oils, along with frankincense and carrot seed oils.
- Organic ingredients: 71% of ingredients are organic
- Scent: Light floral scent from a blend of essential oils
- Price: $50 for 1/2-oz
- Best facial oil for mature skin
Earth Tu Face Balancing Face Serum
- Active ingredients: Blue chamomile and carrot seed oils
- Organic ingredients: All ingredients except the Vitamin E are organic
- Scent: Earthy scent from ylang ylang, vetiver and geranium
- Price: $62 for .9-oz
- Best facial oil for acne or irritated skin
evanhealy Rosehip Treatment Facial Serum
- Active ingredients: Rosehip seed oil, jojoba oil, rose geranium oil, carrot seed oil, Vitamin E
- Organic ingredients: All ingredients except Vitamin E are certified organic
- Scent: A lovely mix of rose otto, sandalwood and lavender essential oils
- Price: $34.95 for 1/2-oz
- Best facial oil for rose lovers
The Good Multi-Functional Serum
- Active ingredients: Meadowfoam seed oil, jojoba oil, prickly pear and frankincense
- Organic ingredients: All ingredients are either organic or wild harvested
- Certified by MADE SAFE and ECOCERT
- Scent: Light herbal scent
- Price: $97 for 1-oz
- Best facial oil for men (but women can use it too!)
Note: If you are into DIY, I’ve got a customizable homemade facial oil recipe for you!