Everything you need to know about natural anti-aging treatments including skin peels, serums and face scrubs that exfoliate and rejuvenate skin cells for bright and glowing skin without needles, chemicals or doctor’s visits.
Aaaaah….remember the good old days, before there were any wrinkles to contend with? Before anti-aging was a word in your vocabulary? Maybe there was an acne flare-up now and again, but for the most part it was smooth sailing in the skin care department.
Now that a few years have gone by, it’s a whole different story. That’s certainly true for me! My skin care routine is much more important than it was in my younger days and I’ve got a few new products in my arsenal to help me combat the signs of aging as naturally as possible.
Natural vs. Needles
As those dreaded lines and wrinkles start to show up, it may be tempting to resort to needles, chemicals and other procedures that require a doctor’s office visit. I always knew I didn’t want to go that route. For one thing, I’m not a fan of needles (acupuncture being one exception) and harsh chemicals have never been my friend. Plus I’ve found that using high quality, natural and organic moisturizers, facial oils, cleansers and other skin care products have kept my skin super hydrated and looking pretty darn good most of the time.
Occasionally however, I do feel the need for something extra. Something that my daily skin care routine can’t quite do. Luckily, I have discovered some natural anti-aging treatments that provide the deep exfoliation, cell rejuvenation and intense moisture boost that helps my skin glow!
Key Anti-Aging Ingredients
When it comes to anti-aging, your first line of defense should always be non-toxic sunscreen and natural beauty products. You can also boost your beauty with healthy foods and supplements. When you’re ready for that next step, turn to these powerful natural ingredients that can help diminish the signs of aging.
Alpha hydroxy acids – Mild, naturally occurring acids including malic acid from apples, citric acid from citrus fruits, lactic acid from yogurt and glycolic acid from sugar cane, that work to exfoliate by ungluing the layer of dead skin cells from the surface of the skin and allowing them to shed.
Beta hydroxy acids – Naturally occurring salicylic acid (willow bark is a source) that helps to unclog pores and calm inflamed skin.
Ascorbic acid – An active form of Vitamin C that assists in smoothing and brightening skin.
Retinol/retinal – A concentrated form of Vitamin A that works to renew skin cells at a deep level and increase collagen production.
Hyaluronic acid – A naturally occurring ingredient able to penetrate deep into skin layers to increase moisture in skin and prevent water loss.
Micro-particles – Microscopic (but non-nano) particles of ingredients that buff and polish skin. Examples include crystals, grapeseed powder and jojoba powder.
Natural Anti-Aging Peels
I may receive commissions from purchases made through links in this article. Full Disclosure
Peel is a bit of a confusing name for this popular type of anti-aging product. The truth is there isn’t any peeling involved – the product does not peel off and nor does your skin.A facial peel is a face mask with a gel-like consistency that provides deep exfoliation and rejuvenation of skin cells and leaves your skin bright, smooth and glowing. Fine lines and discoloration will be reduced although skin peels do not eliminate deep wrinkles.
The active ingredients in peels are typically alpha and beta hydroxy acids or ascorbic acid. Leave the peel on your skin for 1 to 10 minutes, depending on the strength of the ingredients. Your skin will probably tingle a bit as the natural acids get to work, but that will subside quickly. Also, temporary redness of skin may occur immediately after using a peel. It is always recommended to do a patch test before using a peel. See my favorite skin peels including some sensitive skin options below.
- Active ingredients: Alpha hydroxy acids from green apples and lemons and beta hydroxy acids from willow bark
- Use: Leave on face for 10 minutes. Use 1-2 times per week at night.
- My take: I definitely feel the tingle when I use this peel but it gives me the best results of any peel I’ve used!
- Notes: Alpha hydroxy acids may increase skin sensitivity to sun so be sure to wear sunscreen after use.
- Sensitive skin version available
- Cost: $48 for 2-oz
- Active ingredients: 10% L’ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), 25% citrus fruit puree, L-lactic acid and retinal
- Use: Leave on face for 1 minute maximum. Use once a week at night only.
- My take: Love this speed peel! I’ve left it on for more than 1 minute without a problem.
- Cost: $26 for 1.2-oz
- Active ingredients: Active fruit enzymes from mango, bitter cherry, raspberry and cranberry, plus lactic acid and blue agave extract
- Use: Leave on face for 5-8 minutes (3-5 minutes for sensitive skin). Use 1-2 times per week.
- My take: Not as powerful as the two above but still effective. A good choice for sensitive skin.
- Notes: Vegetable peel version also available
- Cost: $17.50 for 1.4-oz
- Active ingredients: Alpha hydroxy acids (5%) from lemon and passion fruit, as well as lactic acid and malic acid
- Use: Leave on face overnight (instead of nightly moisturizer). Use 1-2 times per week.
- My take: Not super powerful but I appreciate the ease of the overnight application. Great price point too!
- Notes: May increase skin sensitivity to sun so be sure to wear sunscreen after use
- Cost: $12.75 for 2-oz
- Active ingredients: Alpha hydroxy acids from multiple fruit sources and 7% lactic acid
- Use: Leave on face 3-5 minutes. Use 1-2 times per week.
- My take: Milder than the MyChelle PRO Speed Peel but still works well
- Notes: EWG Verified (learn more about skin care certifications here)
- Cost: $24.50 for 1.2-oz
Natural Anti-Aging Serums
A facial serum is a light-weight formula infused with active ingredients like retinal, hyaluronic acid or alpha hydroxy acids designed to be applied to skin after cleansing and before your moisturizer. The benefits of facial serums include infusing skin with moisture, promoting healthy skin renewal and minimizing the appearance of wrinkles. Facial serums can be used daily although check the label as some are intended for nighttime use only.
- Active ingredients: Retinal (Vitamin A) and orange plant stem cells
- Use: Apply 1-2 pumps in the evening after cleansing. For maximum results, wait 30 minutes before following with your favorite moisturizer.
- My take: Love adding this to my nighttime routine when I can take the time and I appreciate that it is EWG Verified.
- Notes: This product may increase your skin’s sensitivity to the sun so use sunscreen daily.
- Cost: $38 for 1-oz
- Active ingredients: Hyaluronic acid and Vitamin C
- Use: Apply a dropper full after cleansing, morning and night
- My take: Very lightweight and a great hydration boost for my skin
- Notes: EWG Verified
- Cost: $48 for 1-oz
- Active ingredients: Alpha hydroxy acid from green apples
- Use: Apply over entire face after cleansing
- My take: Perfect thing to use immediately after doing the Juice Beauty Skin Peel
- Notes: Not designed for sensitive skin (Antioxidant Serum is a good alternative)
- Cost: $58 for 1-oz
Natural Anti-Aging Scrubs
These specialty scrubs are a step above your standard face scrub, with some added anti-aging ingredients such as fruit enzymes and micro-particles for exfoliation. Anti-aging scrubs help dissolve dead skin, buff away dullness and leave skin looking healthier and radiant. Scrubs are typically used 2-3 times per week but some are gentle enough for daily use.
- Active ingredients: Fruit enzymes from multiple sources plus jojoba beads
- Use: Apply a thin layer after cleansing. Leave on for 1-3 minutes. Gentle enough for daily use.
- My take: A very nice scrub/mask combo that is extremely gentle on skin
- Notes: EWG Verified
- Cost: $17 for 2.3-oz
- Active ingredients: A fine textured, non-nano crystal blend plus dead sea salt
- Use: Scrub in a circular motion for up to 1 minute. Use twice per week.
- My take: I love this very fine scrub both for my face and also for hands and elbows
- Notes: Provides the benefits of microdermabrasion without the doctor’s office procedure
- Cost: $30 for 2-oz
- Active ingredients: Micro-particles of grapeseed and jojoba
- Use: Massage in circular motion onto moist face. Use 2-3 times per week.
- My take: I like to use this one in the shower because it’s easier to wash off (smells great too!)
- Cost: $56 for 3-oz
What are your favorite natural, anti-aging skin care treatments?