Everything you need to know about natural anti-aging skin care treatments including skin peels, serums and face scrubs that exfoliate and rejuvenate skin cells for bright and glowing skin without needles, chemicals or doctor’s visits.
Aaaaah….remember the good old days, before there were any wrinkles to contend with? Before anti-aging was a word in your vocabulary? Maybe there was an acne flare-up now and again, but for the most part it was smooth sailing in the skin care department.
Now that a few years have gone by, it’s a whole different story. My skin care routine is much more important than it was in my younger days and I’ve got a few new products in my arsenal to help me combat the signs of aging as naturally as possible.
Natural vs. Needles
As those dreaded lines and wrinkles start to show up, it may be tempting to resort to needles, chemicals and other procedures that require a doctor’s office visit. I always knew I didn’t want to go to any of those extremes with skin care.
For one thing, I’m not a fan of needles (acupuncture being one exception) and harsh chemicals have never been my friend. Plus I’ve found that using high quality, natural and organic moisturizers, facial oils, cleansers and other skin care products have kept my skin super hydrated and looking pretty darn good most of the time.
Occasionally however, I do feel the need for something extra. Something that my daily skin care routine can’t quite do. Luckily, I have discovered some natural anti-aging skin care treatments that provide the deep exfoliation, cell rejuvenation and intense moisture boost that helps my skin glow!
Key Anti-Aging Skin Care Ingredients
When it comes to anti-aging, your first line of defense should always be non-toxic sunscreen and natural beauty products. You can also boost your beauty with healthy foods and supplements. When you’re ready for that next step, turn to these powerful natural skin care ingredients that can help diminish the signs of aging.
Alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) – Mild, naturally occurring acids including malic acid from apples, citric acid from citrus fruits, lactic acid from yogurt and glycolic acid from sugar cane, that work to exfoliate by ungluing the layer of dead skin cells from the surface of the skin and allowing them to shed.
Beta hydroxy acids (BHA) – Naturally occurring salicylic acid (willow bark is a source) that helps to unclog pores and calm inflamed skin.
Ascorbic acid – An active form of Vitamin C that assists in smoothing and brightening skin.
Retinol/retinal – A concentrated form of Vitamin A that works to renew skin cells at a deep level and increase collagen production.
Hyaluronic acid – A naturally occurring ingredient able to penetrate deep into skin layers to increase moisture in skin and prevent water loss.
Micro-particles – Microscopic (but non-nano) particles of ingredients that buff and polish skin. Examples include crystals, grapeseed powder and jojoba powder.
Natural Anti-Aging Skin Care Peels
I may receive commissions from purchases made through links in this article. Full Disclosure
Peel is a bit of a confusing name for this popular type of anti-aging product. The truth is there isn’t any peeling involved – the product does not peel off and nor does your skin.
A facial peel is a face mask with a gel-like consistency that provides deep exfoliation and rejuvenation of skin cells and leaves your skin bright, smooth and glowing. Fine lines and discoloration will be reduced although skin peels do not eliminate deep wrinkles.
The active ingredients in peels are typically alpha and beta hydroxy acids or ascorbic acid. Leave the peel on your skin for 1 to 10 minutes, depending on the strength of the ingredients – unless it is specially formulated to be an overnight peel.
Your skin will probably tingle a bit as the natural acids get to work, but that will subside quickly. Also, temporary redness of skin may occur immediately after using a peel. It is always recommended to do a patch test before using a peel. See my favorite skin peels including some sensitive skin options below.
- Active ingredients: Alpha hydroxy acids from green apples and lemons and beta hydroxy acids from willow bark
- Use: Leave on face for 10 minutes. Use 1-2 times per week at night.
- My take: I definitely feel the tingle when I use this peel but it gives me the best results of any peel I’ve used!
- Notes: Alpha hydroxy acids may increase skin sensitivity to sun so be sure to wear sunscreen after use.
- Sensitive skin version available
- Cost: $48 for 2-oz
- Active ingredients: 10% L’ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), 25% citrus fruit puree, L-lactic acid and retinal
- Use: Leave on face for 1 minute maximum. Use once a week at night only.
- My take: Love this speed peel! I’ve left it on for more than 1 minute without a problem.
- Cost: $35 for 1.2-oz
- Active ingredients: A proprietary blend of AHA/BHA including lycolic, malic, and botanically derived lactic acid
- Use: Apply 1 to 2 pumps on clean face and neck and leave on overnight. Can be used every other night.
- My take: Overnight peels are brilliant because they do their magic while you sleep!
- Notes: Wait 3 to 5 minutes before applying moisturizer.
- Cost: $63 for 1-oz
- Active ingredients: Alpha hydroxy acids (5%) from lemon and passion fruit, as well as lactic acid and malic acid
- Use: Leave on face overnight (instead of nightly moisturizer). Use 1-2 times per week.
- My take: Not super powerful but I appreciate the ease of the overnight application. Great price point too!
- Notes: May increase skin sensitivity to sun so be sure to wear sunscreen after use
- Cost: $18.75 for 2-oz
- Active ingredients: Bioactive pumpkin blend of pumpkin puree and pumpkin wine
- Use: Leave on face 3-5 minutes. Use 1-2 times per week.
- My take: Milder than the MyChelle Perfect C PRO Speed Peel but still works well
- Notes: EWG Verified (learn more about skin care certifications here)
- Cost: $30 for 1.2-oz
Natural Anti-Aging Skin Care Serums
A facial serum is a light-weight formula infused with active ingredients like Vitamin C, retinal, hyaluronic acid or alpha hydroxy acids designed to be applied to skin after cleansing and before your moisturizer.
The benefits of facial serums include infusing skin with moisture, promoting healthy skin renewal and minimizing the appearance of wrinkles. Facial serums can be used daily although check the label as some are intended for nighttime use only.
- Active ingredients: A hydrating blend of vitamin C and hyaluronic acid
- Use: Smooth a dropper full of serum onto clean skin
- My take: Love that this brand offers low-waste refill pouches to refill the glass bottle
- Notes: Mix in a shake of Vitamin C Superpowder for added exfoliation power
- Cost: $64 for 1-oz (take 15% off with code MINDFULMOMMA at checkout)
- Active ingredients: Feather-light formula with natural retinol, hyaluronic acid, vitamin C and soothing blue tansy.
- Use: Use effleurage technique to blend 4 – 6 drops into skin (instructions come with product)
- My take: The scent of blue tansy is alluring and I love the lightweight formula
- Notes: Natural retinol is non-photosensitive meaning you don’t have to worry about a reaction in the sun
- Cost: $87 for 1-oz
- Active ingredients: Vitamin C and alpha lipoic acid (ALA) in a base of aloe vera gel
- Use: Apply a dime sized amount after cleansing and before moisturizing. Gently press into damp skin of face and neck.
- My take: A simple formula that is more affordable
- Notes: Most effective when used in PM. Always layer under an SPF when applying during the day.
- Cost: $42 for 1-oz
- Active ingredients: 9% AHAs and 2% phytic acid to exfoliate and promote skin renewal. Seaweed to nourish and hydrate.
- Use: Apply a small amount on clean, dry skin before bed.
- My take: Love putting this on at night and waking up to refreshed skin.
- Notes: AHA’s may increase your skin’s sensitivity to the sun and the possibility of sunburn.
- Cost: $64 for 1.2-oz
- Active ingredients: A non-prescription form of Vitamin A (patented-process Retinal) plus Ceramide 3 and Orange Plant Stem Cells
- Use: Apply 1-2 pumps in the evening after cleansing. For maximum results, wait 30 minutes before following with your favorite moisturizer.
- My take: Powerful but non-irritating (does not tingle like AHAs)
- Notes: This product may increase your skin’s sensitivity to the sun so use sunscreen daily.
- Cost: $48 for 1-oz
- Active ingredients: Two forms of hyaluronic acid, plus Vitamin C and Vitamin E
- Use: Apply one pump after cleansing, both morning and night
- My take: Very lightweight and a great hydration boost for my skin
- Notes: EWG Verified
- Cost: $49 for 1-oz
- Active ingredients: Alpha hydroxy acid from green apples
- Use: Apply over entire face after cleansing
- My take: Perfect thing to use immediately after doing the Juice Beauty Skin Peel
- Notes: Not designed for sensitive skin (Antioxidant Serum is a good alternative)
- Cost: $58 for 1-oz
Natural Anti-Aging Skin Care Scrubs
These specialty scrubs are a step above your standard face scrub, with some added anti-aging ingredients such as fruit enzymes and micro-particles for exfoliation.
Anti-aging scrubs help dissolve dead skin, buff away dullness and leave skin looking healthier and radiant. Scrubs are typically used 2-3 times per week but some are gentle enough for daily use.
- Active ingredients: Fruit enzymes from multiple sources plus bamboo extract and jojoba beads
- Use: Apply a thin layer after cleansing. Leave on for 1-3 minutes. Gentle enough for daily use.
- My take: A very nice scrub/mask combo that is extremely gentle on skin
- Notes: EWG Verified
- Cost: $19 for 2.3-oz
- Active ingredients: A multi-acid blend of 10% AHA and 10% phytic acid plus bamboo particles
- Use: Apply to clean skin and leave on for 10 minutes. Rinse with warm water using gentle, circular motions for maximum exfoliation. Use up to twice a week.
- My take: The gel formula feels cool going on and I love that it provides both chemical and physical exfoliation.
- Notes: Does double-duty as both a mask and a facial scrub
- Cost: $96 for 2.25 oz
- Active ingredients: A fine textured, non-nano crystal blend plus dead sea salt
- Use: Scrub in a circular motion for up to 1 minute. Use twice per week.
- My take: I love this very fine scrub both for my face and also for hands and elbows
- Notes: Provides the benefits of microdermabrasion without the doctor’s office procedure
- Cost: $32.50 for 2-oz
- Active ingredients: Micro-particles of grapeseed and jojoba
- Use: Massage in circular motion onto moist face. Use 2-3 times per week.
- My take: I like to use this one in the shower because it’s easier to wash off (smells great too!)
- Cost: $56 for 3-oz