Learn why breathable bamboo underwear is a great choice for you and the planet.
Shall we talk about underwear today? Why not, right? We put on our panties, socks, bras and camis every day without giving it much thought….but maybe we should.
When it comes to underwear I’ve always heard cotton, cotton, cotton – mainly because it is a breathable fabric. But cotton is a high resource crop, using a ton of water, land and pesticides. Turns out bamboo fabric beats cotton on many measures – both from a comfort and a sustainability standpoint. Here’s why:
Bamboo for Your Body
Like cotton, bamboo fiber is naturally breathable and wicks moisture away from the skin. Unlike cotton, bamboo fabric allows moisture to evaporate into the air quickly. So when you sweat, you won’t stay wet. Bonus – bamboo fabric is super light and silky soft too!
The natural properties of bamboo also make the fabric:
- thermo-regulating (keeps you cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter)
- very durable
Bamboo for the Planet
From a sustainability standpoint, bamboo has a lot going for it. Unlike cotton, bamboo requires very little water to grow and it yields up to 30 times more per acre than cotton, making it a much less resource-hungry crop.
Other eco-benefits of bamboo include:
- no fertilizers or pesticides required
- extremely fast growing plant
- can be continually re-harvested without harm to the environment
- bamboo fabric is biodegradable at the end of its useful life
Boody Organic Breathable Bamboo Underwear
I may receive commissions from purchases made through links in this article. Full Disclosure
So have I convinced you to check out bamboo underwear yet? Let me introduce you to a company that’s doing it well.
Boody is an Australia-born company that specializes in bamboo undergarments, shirts and leggings. What’s unique about Boody is that they use organically grown bamboo and the finished products carry the Eco-Cert certification, ensuring that the clothing is chemical free. Their closed loop production process uses a natural solvent instead of chemicals and is much more sustainable than some of the less responsible bamboo manufacturers you may have heard about.
I’ve been giving some Boody products a test run and I just love how silky soft the fabric is. Plus I totally appreciate the temperature-regulating ability – it’s great for layering on cold winter days and especially nice during a sweaty workout!
A few more benefits of Boody:
- organic bamboo is grown in accordance with the international organic standard of OCIA / IFOAM and the USDA National Organic Program
- closed loop production process uses less water (water is filtered and reused)
- finished fiber is Oeko-Tex 100 certified
- garments range from 80 % to 95% organic bamboo with a small bit of poly and spandex added to preserve shape and allow for better stretch
- garments are seam-free (no panty lines!)
- easy to wash – no special care required
Would you like to try some Boody breathable bamboo underwear for yourself?
I’ve seen Boody displays popping up at Whole Foods and natural food co-ops but you can also find Boody on Amazon. Here are some links to the products I have tried and recommend!
- bikini, brief or boy short bamboo underwear
- bamboo bra
- bamboo tank top or bamboo t-shirt
- bamboo cami top
- Boody on Amazon