A comparison of the best organic crib mattress brands, made without flame retardants or harmful chemicals, so you can find the best crib mattress for your needs and budget.
Decorating the nursery. Buying the baby clothes. Picking out the perfect name.
There are so many things to do to get ready for baby.
Perhaps one of the most important considerations is where your baby will sleep. Because baby spends so much time sleeping in the first year, you’ll want to create the safest environment possible. An organic crib mattress is the healthiest option for baby’s first bed.
Why Should I Invest in An Organic Crib Mattress?
You may be tempted to save a few bucks and go for an inexpensive crib mattress. I get it – there are a lot of costs for a new baby.
But if there is one area, I recommend spending the extra money, it’s for a crib mattress.
Here’s why: Conventional foam mattresses (including adult and crib mattresses), are kind of like chemical sponges. They are made from polyurethane foam, treated with toxic flame retardant chemicals and covered with synthetic fabrics. The mattress construction may include glues that emit formaldehyde. Toxic PVC vinyl may be used as a waterproofing material.
Bottom line, the chemicals in mattresses can slowly off-gas into the air that your baby is breathing. Those fumes (also known as volatile organic compounds or VOCs) are linked to negative health effects like respiratory irritation, reproductive problems, impaired brain functioning and cancer.
What makes it worse is that a baby’s tiny body is not equipped to detox harmful chemicals very well. A newborn’s efforts need to go into growing and thriving, not fighting off toxic chemicals.
Sources: Environmental Working Group, Women’s Voices for the Earth
[ RELATED: Best Organic & Natural Baby Care Products ]
Best Materials for a Crib Mattress
Now that you understand the importance of a non-toxic mattress, you’re probably wondering – What are the safest materials for a crib mattress? Let’s take a look a what you might find inside an organic crib mattress (Note: each mattress brand uses a different combination of natural and organic materials):
Organic cotton – Cotton is used for both the mattress filling and the cover of the crib mattress. Look for cotton that has been certified by the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS).
Organic wool – Wool is used a natural flame retardant and also provides breathability and moisture-wicking properties. Wool should be GOTS certified.
Organic latex – Natural latex is made from the sap of rubber trees and is sustainable and renewable. Look for organic certified latex from Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS).
PLA – Polylactic acid (PLA) is a type of biodegradable, plastic-like material that is created from renewable resources like sugar cane or corn. PLA is used to create a waterproof surface on crib mattresses. This is a more sustainable and non-toxic alternative to PVC vinyl waterproofing used on conventional crib mattresses. This type of waterproofing meets food contact standards, so you can be sure it is safe for baby! PLA fiber is sometimes used as a filling in crib mattresses to create a softer feel.
Coconut coir – Some crib mattresses include a layer of organic coconut coir bound together with organic latex, that helps with breathability and is naturally antibacterial.
Innersprings – Metal innersprings or supportive coils provide extra firm support in some crib natural crib mattress designs.
Top 4 Organic Crib Mattress Brands
I may receive commissions from purchases made through links in this article including Amazon Affiliates. Full Disclosure
Having already written about natural and organic mattress brands for adults, I was familiar with the safest mattresses on the market. However, not all of those brands offer crib mattresses. So I did some extra research and found the four brands that do sell the most trusted organic mattresses for babies: Naturepedic, Avocado, My Green Mattress and Lullaby Earth.
Rest assured that these baby mattresses are made with only the safest natural materials with organic certification like organic cotton, wool and latex. They are all manufactured in the United States as well.
Here’s what you WON’T find in any of these organic crib mattresses:
- Chemical flame retardants
- PVC vinyl
- PFCs (perfluorinated compounds)
- Polyurethane foam
- Toxic glues or adhesives
Read on for a roundup of the best organic crib mattresses I’ve found so that you can find the right crib mattress for your needs:
- Materials used: Organic cotton fabric and fill and PLA made from non-GMO sugar cane
- Waterproof: Yes (the waterproof coating is made from non-GMO sugar cane and is food-safe)
- Certifications: GOTS, MADE SAFE™, Greenguard Gold
- Warranty: lifetime limited warranty, 100 night sleep trial
- Breathable mattress option has a 3-dimmentional fabric that allows for 360 degree air circulation
- Two-stage crib mattress (firm on one side, medium firm on the other) is available
- Choice of a lightweight core made from food-grade polyethylene or metal innersprings
- Classic crib mattress starts at $269
- Breathable crib mattress starts at $399
- Crib sheets, crib protector pads and changing table pads also available
Shop Naturepedic Crib Mattresses (Use code mindfulmomma15 for 15% off your order)
- Materials used: Certified organic cotton, wool and latex, as well as a coconut husk fiber pad
- Waterproof: No (a washable, organic cotton mattress protector or a waterproof mattress protector are available)
- Certifications: GOTS, GOLS, MADE SAFE™, Greenguard Gold, Formaldehyde-free certified
- Warranty: 10 to 25 year limited warranty, 30 night sleep trial
- Certified organic latex and wool come from their own sustainable farms and are processed in their own organic certified facilities.
- Dual-sided crib mattress with two levels of firmness (one for baby, one for toddler) is available
- Avocado’s Eco Organic crib mattress sells for $349, the Organic crib mattress is $439 and if you want the best-of-the-best, the Luxury Organic crib mattress is $1379.
My Green Mattress
- Materials used: Certified organic cotton, wool, latex, and coconut coir
- Waterproof: No – but organic cotton, waterproof mattress protector is available (Moisture barrier is made from renewable resources, including non-GMO corn.)
- Certifications: GOTS, GOLS, Greenguard Gold
- Warranty: 10 year limited warranty
- Mattress is flippable, but both sides are identical
- Emily organic crib mattress: $299
- Organic cotton crib sheets also available
Shop the Emily Crib Mattress from My Green Mattress (Use code MindfulMicaela for $20 off)
- Materials used: Food-grade polyethylene and recycled polyester fiber fill
- Waterproof: Yes. Lullaby Earth uses a patented food-grade PE waterproofing material
- Certifications: MADE SAFE™ certified, Greengard Gold, Formaldehyde-Free Verified
- Warranty: Lifetime limited warranty, 30 day money back guarantee
- Reinforced edge support stands up to bouncing toddlers
- “2-stage” option features a firmer side for infants and a cushion firm side for toddlers
- Healthy Support crib mattress starts at $179 (this is the lowest-priced organic crib mattress I’ve seen!)
- Breathe Safe crib mattress with a washable cover starts at $279 (This is the best affordable breathable organic crib mattress I’ve seen.)
- Their specially designed breathable cover is also sold separately if you are interested.
Shop Lullaby Earth Crib Mattresses
Organic Crib Mattress FAQ
Here are some of the most common questions I’ve seen asked about crib mattresses:
Should a crib mattress be firm or soft?
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) Federal safety standard for crib mattresses, a crib mattress must pass a firmness test, because soft crib mattresses have been linked to infant deaths. All of the new crib mattresses mentioned in this article have met those standards.
What is a 2-stage crib mattress?
A two-stage crib mattress (also known as dual-sided crib mattress or a flippable mattress) has two sides – a firm side for infants and a slightly softer (but still firm) one for toddlers. It’s not necessary to purchase a 2-stage crib mattress, but it might last you longer than a traditional crib mattress.
What is the best breathable crib mattress?
The firmness of a crib mattress is its most important safety feature, but a breathable cover is a nice addition. A breathable cover is a 3-dimensional structure that allows air to flow through the fabric and under the baby for 360° air circulation. Of the mattresses reviewed in this post, both Naturepedic and Lullaby Earth offer a breathable crib mattress. The Naturepedic crib mattress is a bit more lux and Lullaby Earth is the most affordable breathable crib mattress.
Do I need a waterproof crib mattress?
A waterproof crib mattress is definitely recommended because accidents happen and no one wants a musty, smelly mattress! Some crib mattresses have waterproofing built into the mattress (waterproof seams are especially nice), and others use a waterproof layer in the cover. Sometimes the waterproof cover is sold separately so be sure to check!
What is the best latex free crib mattress?
If you are concerned about a possible latex allergy and are looking for a latex-free crib mattress, you can find them at Naturepedic and Lullaby Earth.
What is the best vegan crib mattress?
If you are looking for a vegan crib mattress, you can crib mattresses without wool at Naturepedic and Lullaby Earth.
What’s the best crib mattress cover?
Babies are messy so investing in a washable mattress cover is important. All of the mattress brands in this post offer mattress protectors or covers that can be machine washed. My recommendation is to get cover that goes along with the crib mattress that you are purchasing to ensure a good fit.
What is most important for your baby’s nursery?
Leave a Reply