A comparison of the best organic crib mattress brands, made without flame retardants or harmful chemicals, so you can find the mattress that works best for your needs and budget.
Decorating the nursery. Buying the baby clothes. Picking out the perfect name.
There are so many things to do to get ready for baby.
Perhaps one of the most important considerations is where your baby will sleep. Because baby spends so much time sleeping in the first year, you’ll want to create the safest environment possible. An organic crib mattress is the healthiest option for baby’s first bed.
Why Should I Invest in An Organic Crib Mattress?
You may be tempted to save a few bucks and go for an inexpensive crib mattress. I get it – there are a lot of costs for a new baby.
But if there is one area, I recommend spending the extra money, it’s for a crib mattress.
Conventional mattresses (including adult and crib mattresses), are kind of like chemical sponges. They are made from polyurethane foam, and treated with toxic flame retardants. The mattress construction may include glues that emit formaldehyde. Toxic PVC vinyl may be used as a waterproofing material.
Bottom line, the chemicals in mattresses can slowly off-gas into the air that your baby is breathing. Those fumes are linked to negative health effects like respiratory irritation, reproductive problems, impaired brain functioning and cancer. What makes it worse is that a baby’s tiny body is not equipped to detox harmful chemicals very well. A newborn’s efforts need to go into growing and thriving, not fighting off toxic chemicals.
[ RELATED: Best Organic & Natural Baby Care Products ]
Top 3 Organic Crib Mattress Brands
I may receive commissions from purchases made through links in this article including Amazon Affiliates. Full Disclosure
Having already written about natural and organic mattress brands for adults, I was familiar with the safest mattress brands on the market. Not all of them offer crib mattresses, but the three brands that do sell them are Naturepedic, Avocado and My Green Mattress.
Rest assured that these baby mattresses are made with only the safest materials like certified organic cotton, wool and latex. They are all manufactured in the USA as well.
Here’s what you WON’T find in any of these organic crib mattresses:
- Flame retardants
- PVC vinyl
- PFCs (perfluorinated compounds)
- Polyurethane foam
- Toxic glues or adhesives
- Materials used: Organic cotton fabric and fill and PLA made from non-GMO sugar cane
- Waterproof: Yes (the waterproof coating is made from non-GMO sugar cane and is food-safe)
- Certifications: GOTS, MADE SAFE, Greenguard Gold
- Breathable mattress option has a 3-dimmentional fabric that allows for 360 degree air circulation
- Two-stage option (firm on one side, medium firm on the other) is available
- Choice of a lightweight core made from food-grade polyethylene or metal innersprings
- Classic crib mattress starts at $259
- Breathable crib mattress starts at $349
- Crib sheets, crib protector pads and changing table pads also available
- Materials used: Certified organic cotton, wool and latex, as well as coconut fiber
- Waterproof: No (a washable, organic cotton mattress protector or a waterproof mattress protector are available)
- Certifications: GOTS, GOLS, MADE SAFE, Greenguard Gold, Formaldehyde-free certified
- Certified organic latex and wool come from their own sustainable farms and are processed in their own organic certified facilities.
- Dual-sided, with two levels of firmness (one for baby, one for toddler)
- Avocado organic crib mattress starts at $279
- Luxury organic crib mattress: $1249
My Green Mattress
- Materials used: Certified organic cotton, wool, latex, and coconut coir
- Waterproof: No – but organic cotton, waterproof mattress protector is available (Moisture barrier is made from renewable resources, including non-GMO corn.)
- Certifications: GOTS, GOLS, Greenguard Gold
- Mattress is flippable, but both sides are identical
- Emily organic crib mattress: $259
- Organic cotton crib sheets also available
What is most important for your baby’s nursery?