I admit to being a skeptic. A plastic, ceramic pellet-filled ball that would clean my dirty laundry without a drop of detergent? It sounded a bit hoodoo-voodoo to me. Would I have to chant something or say a little prayer each time I dropped it in the wash?
I’m talking about the SmartKlean Laundry Ball – a new laundry product that cleans clothes without detergent.
How does it work? The SmartKlean Laundry Ball cleans clothes using an innovative cleaning technology that is physical rather than chemical. The plastic ball is filled with mineral-based ceramic beads that create oxygenated water that basically allows the water to more deeply penetrate the fabric to release dirt, grime and odors.The minerals are 100% natural (see full ingredient list here) and are completely safe for people and the environment. Simply throw the laundry ball in with a load of wash and let it do it’s magic.
- The laundry ball is reusable for up to 365 washes, saving you detergent costs, reducing packaging waste and keeping chemicals out of the environment.
- It is completely non-toxic and hypoallergenic – perfect for babies and people with sensitive skin.
- There is no soap reside left after washing, eliminating the need for a rinse cycle and saving water and electricity.
- Super easy to use – no more drippy liquids or messy powders.
- Works as well in cold water as it does in warm.
- No need for fabric softeners because the natural softness of fabrics is maintained.
- Better for your wardrobe – gentle on fabric, increasing lifespan of clothing.
- Compatible with all washing machines, including front-loaders.
- Cleans the washing machine while it cleans your clothes.
Are there disadvantages?
- The laundry ball works best with small loads of laundry because it needs space to agitate the clothes. I usually pack my front-loading washer pretty full so this means more loads of laundry for me.
- A monthly sun-bath is recommended to recharge the minerals. This is because they need to be fully dried every 10-30 washes and sun drying is the best way for reducing the moisture content of the components. I’m afraid I might forget to do this.
- If you equate a fresh scent with clean laundry, you will need to add your own essential oils. (I love lavender myself!)
- Heavy stains require pre-treatment – just like they do with conventional detergent washing. (The company recommends adding 1/4 cup each of sea salt and white vinegar to heavily soiled loads.)
- The upfront cost of $45 may seem steep but remember, it is good for 365 washes – that’s 12 cents a wash!
What do I think?
I was impressed with how well the SmartKlean laundry ball really does work. Although, I found the laundry detergent hard to break, and over time I went back to using my favorite eco-friendly laundry detergents.
Would you like to try the SmartKlean laundry ball?