A roundup of the best reusable lunch containers including eco-friendly bento box lunch containers, reusable snack containers and thermos containers to meet the needs of everyone in the family.
Got a picky child who doesn’t like different foods to touch?
Is plastic-free your thing because it’s safer and better for the planet?
Need a lightweight lunch container because you’re toting it all around town?
Need to microwave your lunch at work?
Reusable Lunch Containers – The Criteria
In the world of lunch-packing, we all have different needs. My favorite lunch container may not work for you – and vice versa. Your older son may want something completely different than your younger daughter. The good news is, there are many different reusable lunch container styles to choose from!
To cover all the bases, I considered lots of different criteria for this eco-friendly lunch container roundup. Some of these criteria may be more important to you than others. My family has appreciated all of them over my many years of lunch packing for one reason or another!
- divided areas
- dishwasher safe
- freezer safe
- keep food warm
- flexible (changeable or removable parts)
- minimal parts
RELATED: Favorite Reusable Snack Bags
Reusable Lunch Containers – Non-Toxic Materials
When you are shopping for a lunch container, look for these safe, non-toxic materials:
Food grade stainless steel
- Often marked 18/8 or 18/10 stainless
- Advantages: lightweight, dishwasher safe, very durable
- Disadvantages: not microwavable
Food grade silicone
- A synthetic rubberlike polymer that does not leach chemicals or produce hazardous fumes
- Advantages: flexible, does not absorb odors, easy to see through if silicone is translucent/clear
- Disadvantages: can rip or tear if not treated carefully
- Advantages: tempered glass can be used in freezer, refrigerator and microwave and is dishwasher safe
- Disadvantages: heavier than other materials, will break if dropped
Food safe plastic
- Polypropylene plastic – PP (recycling code #5) and low-density polyethylene – LDPE (recycling code #4) are durable plastics that are considered food safe
- Advantages: flexible and easy to care for
- Disadvantages: not microwavable, plastic production contributes to pollution
Best Reusable Lunch Containers – The Roundup
Scroll through this list of reusable lunch containers, and I bet you’ll find the perfect one for YOUR NEEDS!
Be assured that all of these reusable lunch containers are all made from safe, non-toxic materials like stainless steel, glass, silicone or food-safe plastic. They are all durable, washable and ready to be used again and again (no single use plastic containers here!)
Any of these reusable food containers will be a very sustainable choice for your lunch-packing needs, whether for school lunch, work lunch or on-the-go.
I may receive commissions from purchases made through links in this article including Amazon Affiliates. Full Disclosure
- Food grade stainless steel container
- See-through silicone lid
- Flexible lids are easy to open
Best feature: Clear lids make it easy to see what’s inside
- Durable stainless steel container
- Removable divider
- Safe #4 plastic lid
Best feature: Removable divider for Bento-box flexiblity
- Plastic-free: lid and sleeve made of non-leaching silicone
- Durable, shatter-resistant glass container
- Oven and microwave safe
- Freezer safe
Best feature: Perfect for microwaving leftovers at work!
- Plastic-free: lid made of silicone
- Non-toxic stainless steel container
- Mini container (sold separately) great for dips or small items
- Water tight and leak-proof
- Dishwasher safe
Best feature: Super lightweight and easy-off lid makes it a good choice for kids
- Both container and lid are food grade stainless steel
- Bento style container with one large and two smaller compartments
- Lightweight and compact
Best feature: Virtually indestructible!
- Insulated bento-box designed for both hot and cold foods
- Includes insulated stainless container for hot foods
- Customize with movable divider
- Made with BPA-free plastic, food grade silicone and stainless steel
- Kid-friendly design makes it a great eco-friendly lunch box for school
Best feature: Attached handle makes it easy to carry.
- A classic eco-friendly bento box with three separate food compartments that stack together
- Made entirely from food safe stainless steel
- Carry the top tier on its own, or both tiers together
- Lid doubles as a plate
Best feature: Holds a lot of food!
- 100% food grade stainless steel
- Upper and lower food containers clip together
- Includes nesting snack container with lid
Best feature: Different sections keep foods from touching.
- Odor resistant tempered glass
- BPA-free plastic lid with silicone seal
- Microwave, dishwasher and freezer safe
Best feature: Leftovers go from freezer to microwave to dishwasher – all in the same container.
- Reusable snack containers made from food safe stainless steel
- Leak resistant, BPA-free plastic lids
- Set of 3 snack container sizes that nest together
Best feature: Mix and match a variety of fruits, veggies, nuts and other snacks.
- Double wall vacuum insulation
- Keeps food hot for up to 8 hours
- Made from food grade stainless steel, with a silicone sealing gasket
Best feature: Makes taking leftovers for lunch easy
- 100% food grade stainless steel
- Lid clamps tightly on to base
- Dishwasher safe
Best feature: Large container great for leftovers or sandwiches.