Discover the top zero waste stores that you can count on for sustainable, reusable, plastic-free and non-toxic goods for your eco-conscious lifestyle.
So, you’ve made the commitment to ditch the disposables and to be a more eco-conscious consumer. Now what? How are you going to keep from buying another roll of plastic wrap or that big plastic jug of laundry detergent next time you run out?
For starters, it helps to know where to shop for zero waste alternatives to the wasteful products we typically purchase.
While you might be able to find zero waste products locally, the online stores that specialize in selling reusable and plastic-free products, can be a great resource to help you make sustainable swaps to meet your low waste goals.
Benefits of Going Zero Waste
As a quick reminder, the goal of the zero waste movement is to encourage people to use less plastic and create as little waste as possible. It’s about switching to reusable and plastic-free products, and to think before you buy something that you might not need.
Zero waste is more of a guiding philosophy than a strict protocol that you need to follow. It’s about becoming a more conscious consumer and adopting a mindset that you have a responsibility to help take care of the planet and reduce your carbon footprint.
Does adopting a zero waste lifestyle mean you have to go out and buy a bunch of new reusable products immediately? NO!
My advice is to start with the products you use the most, and the products that create the most waste in your life. Slowly swap out disposable products for reusable ones and plastic products for plastic-free versions. And don’t forget to congratulate yourself for your small wins, wherever you are on your zero waste journey!
RELATED: All My Favorite Zero Waste Products!
Best Zero Waste Stores Online
To help you rock your eco-friendly goals, I searched the internet for the best zero waste shops that sell products online (some of them have physical stores as well, but some are exclusively online).
All of these small businesses feature high quality, reusable and zero waste personal care and household products, and they all offer plastic-free shipping. Each of these online stores has a slightly different specialty, so be sure to browse around and see what they have to offer in order to find the zero waste shop that works best for you!
Zero Waste Store
Founded in 2018, Zero Waste Store strives to be the most trusted online resource for environmental knowledge and the best place to shop for low waste swaps and carefully vetted brands.
- Product categories: household, bath & body, oral hygiene, clean beauty
- Best products: ZWS essentials line
- Ordering tips: Join their rewards program to earn free or discounted products. Free shipping on U.S. orders over $50.
EcoRoots is a zero-waste shop that offers a range of eco-friendly and sustainable products for home, personal care and on-the-go. Their private-label products are sold at an affordable price point, making it easy to adopt a zero-waste lifestyle without breaking the bank! Orders are shipped without plastic packaging and using only recyclable and compostable materials.
- Product categories: kitchen & home, skincare, bath & beauty, haircare
- Best products: zero waste shampoo bars, lotion bars and bar soaps
- Ordering tips: Free shipping on orders over $50
Marley’s Monsters is a woman owned business, with a mission to provide simple, handmade, reusable products that inspire and empower sustainable living. I’ve been using their products for years and have even visited their retail store in Eugene, Oregon!
- Product categories: kitchen & dining, bath & beauty, home & living, baby & mama
- Best products: UNpaper® Towels
- Ordering tips: Join their rewards program to earn vouchers for future purchases.
etee is a Canadian company with a mission to make plastic-free living easy for everyone. They offer plastic-free essentials for cleaning and personal care, as well as beeswax wrap and reusable food bags.
- Product categories: cleaning products, bath & body, dental care, hair care
- Best products: Beepods™ – concentrated plant-based cleaning formulas that come in a biodegradable wax pod.
- Ordering tips: Set up a subscription and save 20% on your order.
Earth Hero is an online marketplace that offers thousands of sustainable products for low-waste living, ranging from reusable containers to stainless steel straws to silicone bags. Their 5 Pillars of Sustainable Sourcing help guide them to stock only the most eco-friendly and ethical products.
- Product categories: zero waste, home & kitchen, beauty & care, baby & kids
- Best products: Reusable food storage and utensils
- Ordering tips: Use their Shop by Values guide to help you find the products that matter most to you.
Life Without Plastic
Life Without Plastic is a Canadian-based store that specializes in plastic-free alternatives for everyday items like bamboo toothbrushes reusable straws, water bottles, and laundry products. They are committed to reducing the amount of plastic that enters landfills and all of their products are 100% BPA, phthalate, and lead free.
- Product categories: home, food & drink, bath & body
- Best products: Plastic-free kits
- Ordering tips: Free shipping on orders $100+
Package Free Shop
Founded by Lauren Singer, the founder of the popular zero waste blog, Trash is For Tossers, Package Free Shop is a one-stop online shop for sustainable and zero waste goods. You’ll find everything from from reusable straws, reusable produce bags and other home items, to beauty and personal care products, to pet products. All orders are shipped plastic free and without extra packaging.
- Product categories: household, beauty, baby & kids, pets, clothing & accessories
- Best products: Zero waste kits to get you started on your eco-friendly lifestyle
- Ordering tips: Set up a subscription and get an extra 10% off your order. Get free shipping on orders of $65+
Shop Package Free (Get 10% off your order with code Micaela10)
Tiny Yellow Bungalow
Tiny Yellow Bungalow is an online zero-waste store with a goal to provide a simple one stop locale to purchase natural, sustainable products and help people reduce single-use plastics and wasteful products.
- Product categories: On-the-go, kitchen & dining, bath & body, cleaning, kid & baby
- Best products: Zero waste grocery shopping supplies
- Ordering tips: Free shipping on orders over $100
Minneapolis based Tare Market is on a mission to make sustainable living convenient and accessible to all people. They offer zero waste supplies and bulk foods, as well as refillable personal care and cleaning products. I’m lucky enough to shop locally, but you can place an order online anytime.
- Product categories: bulk grocery, home products, personal care
- Best products: Bulk grocery items sold by the pound
- Ordering tips: Free shipping on orders over $75
Tips for Zero Waste Shopping
Here are a few questions to ask when shopping for zero-waste products online:
- Does the product come with extra packaging like boxes or bags? (sometimes this is needed for protection, but not always)
- Do they use plastic-free packaging or compostable packaging?
- Is the packaging recyclable?
- Are products made from sustainable materials or recyclable materials?
- Are product refills available? (for beauty products or cleaning products)
If you are shopping locally, you can be even more eco-friendly by bringing your own containers or reusable bags so you can shop from the bulk bins.
Where do you like to shop for zero waste products? Leave a comment on the post!