Learn why organic cotton feminine products are better for your health and the planet.
This post has been sponsored by the Organic Initiative Corporation. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
People in Minnesota like to joke that there are two seasons here – winter and road construction. Personally, I prefer to say it’s winter and gardening season.
Our gardening season may be shorter than some states, but that doesn’t keep us from diving in fully! My husband and I both garden – and to be honest, he is more the master gardener, but I do the potted flowers and the veggies.
We like to keep our garden organic of course – so we skip the nasty fertilizers and use our own rich compost soil made from food scraps instead. We’re enjoying all the beautiful flowers in our garden now and later in the summer, we will have organically grown tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers and cucumbers!
Why I Recommend Organic Cotton Feminine Products
Just like I prefer our garden to be organic, I prefer my feminine products to be organic too. Organic is better for so many reasons – both for our personal health and for the health of the planet.
Specifically, I recommend organic feminine products from Organic Initiative – known for short as Oi! I can get Oi products at my local CVS, which is a quick 5 minute drive or 10 minute bike ride from my house – so if I run into a monthly emergency, I can run over there and grab what I need and get back to gardening ASAP! Learn more about Oi here!
Let’s take a look at some of the reasons why I recommend organic cotton feminine products:
1.) Feminine products made without bleach, dyes or fragrances are safer for your delicate lady parts
Let’s face it, some of the most sensitive and absorbant tissues in our body are “down there” – the place we call home to tampons and pads every month. So why would we want to expose those areas to chemicals?
Most feminine products tend to use chemical bleaching in their process, along with dyes and artificial fragrances. But organic feminine products don’t use those chemicals. If you’re going to choose one area to go organic in your life, I recommend this one!
- Oi Tampons (Regular or Super), Oi Pads (Regular or Super) and Oi Pantyliners are free from all perfumes, dyes and chlorine bleach.
2.) Organic cotton is better for the earth than traditional cotton or synthetics
When cotton is grown organically, it has been grown without pesticides or herbicides that are harmful both to people and the environment. Certifications for organic cotton are rigorous and include soil and land management, as well as the facilities where cotton is processed.
Traditional tampons and pads are made from synthetics like rayon and viscose, or from traditional cotton, which are all chemical intensive and require much more water to produce than organic cotton.
- All Oi feminine products are made with 100% organic cotton that has been certified by GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard).
3.) Organic products keep chlorine bleach and other chemicals out of the environment
Chlorine bleach and other chemicals used in traditional feminine products are also terrible for the environment. Chlorine production is especially toxic since dioxins are created as a byproduct of the process. Dioxins are persistent environmental pollutants, meaning they never biodegrade.
- Oi is committed to the health of the planet and to removing toxic chemicals out of the entire process – from the organic cotton harvest, to the manufacturing and packaging of their products.
4.) Organic pads and tampons reduce the risk of irritation and allergy
When I’m going through the “monthlies”, the last thing I want to do is worry about irritation. But with all the extra added stuff in most pads and tampons, irritation is highly likely. Sticking with pure, organic cotton is the way to go!
- Oi organic cotton tampons and pads are hypoallergenic and clinically tested to reduce the risks of irritation and allergy. Although not required by law, Oi is happy to disclose ingredients – made with 100% certified organic cotton.
5.) Organic cotton is biodegradable (and used products are compostable)
When your feminine products are made from one ingredient – 100% organic cotton, they are biodegradable too – and that’s a great thing for the planet. If you have a city or municipal compost service like I do, you can add used organic cotton feminine products to your bin, which keeps them out of the landfill!
- As I mentioned before, all Oi tampons and pads are made from 100% biodegradable organic cotton. Oi tampons come with or without an applicator, and the Oi biocompact applicator tampon is a plant-based plastic that is recyclable. Products come individually wrapped for hygiene purposes – pads and pantyliner are wrapped in plant-based wrappers that will biodegrade. Used tampons and pads can be composted.
Here’s the thing – organic cotton feminine products provide the same reliable protection as the traditional kind. And Oi makes them affordable and available at places like CVS where so many of us shop. Why not make the switch to organic so you can breathe easy and get back to the fun stuff like gardening? (Don’t forget to learn more about Oi here!)