A roundup of the best healthy cookbooks from popular food blogs, including real food cookbooks, family-focused cookbooks, vegan and vegetarian cookbooks, and cookbooks for special diets such as gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo and keto.
Who and what influenced the type of cook you are today?
Think back for a minute on the people and places that shaped your interest in food and cooking. Was it your parents or other relatives? Places you worked? Trips you took? Friends you met over the years? Cooking shows you watched?
For me it was my mom for all the basics and confidence in the kitchen, my relatives for traditional foods (mostly casseroles and classic desserts), my college roommates for cooking on a budget, the restaurant and cooking school where I worked for fancier foods, my boyfriend (now husband) for a lifetime partnership of cooking (he lured me in with his cocoa cake!), and later, my love of food blogs and cookbooks for ideas and inspiration.
It’s fascinating how the people we meet and the places we spend time influence both our interest in cooking and the type of foods we like to eat.
The Best Healthy Cookbooks from Food Bloggers
I may receive commissions from purchases made through links in this article. Full Disclosure
Once my interest in cooking kicked in, I turned to cookbooks to learn even more. A couple of the very first cookbooks I purchased, The Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen and The New Basics Cookbook by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins were extremely influential on my interest in healthy, real food cooking!
Later on, I turned to food blogs for even more inspiration in the kitchen. I looooove reading food blogs and admittedly save many recipes to Pinterest to make later. But still, there’s nothing like sitting down with a real-life cookbook to get great recipes, gorgeous photos and lots of healthy meal ideas all in one place. So how cool that many food bloggers now have cookbooks of their own!
With that in mind, I’ve put together a roundup of the best healthy cookbooks from my favorite healthy food bloggers. They cover everything from the basics of real food cooking and family-friendly recipes, to vegan, vegetarian, paleo, gluten-free and other special diets.
Keep these healthy cookbooks in mind for gift-giving season too. A cookbook is a thoughtful, practical gift that keeps on giving all year round!
Healthy Cookbooks with a Real Food Focus
These cookbooks focus on cooking with seasonal whole foods, including lots of healthy vegetables and fruits, as well as sustainably produced meat and dairy products.
100 Days of Real Food by Lisa Leake
- 100 wholesome recipes to help you cut out processed food, including step-by-step instructions and meal plans.
- Blog: 100DaysofRealFood.com
The Laura Lea Balanced Cookbook by Laura Lea Goldberg
- Everyday recipes for the healthy home cook with most taking 30 minutes or less.
- Blog: llbalanced.com
The Smitten Kitchen by Deb Perelman
- Approachable, delicious home cooking recipes using simple, real food ingredients.
- Blog: SmittenKitchen.com
The Nourished Kitchen by Jennifer McGruther
- Whole foods recipes highlighting traditional techniques like fermentation, sprouted grains and sourdough baking and incorporating sustainably produced produce, meat and dairy.
- Blog: NourishedKitchen.com
Nutrition Stripped by McKel Hill
- Whole food recipes (plant-based, gluten-free, dairy-free) made deliciously simple.
- Blog: NutritionStripped.com
The Sprouted Kitchen by Sara Forte
- A tasty take on seasonal, whole foods, with an emphasis on vegetables (but not 100% vegetarian).
- Blog: SproutedKitchen.com
RELATED: The Worst Food Additives to Avoid.
Healthy Cookbooks with a Family Focus
These cookbooks share simple, healthy recipes the whole family (including picky kids) will love.
The Wellness Mama Cookbook by Katie Wells
- 200+ time-saving, healthy recipes for the busy mom (includes dairy free and grain free options.)
- Blog: WellnessMama.com
Plant Powered Families by Dreena Burton
- Kid-tested, whole food vegan recipes, including tips for handling picky eaters and dietary concerns.
- Blog: DreenaBurton.com
Weelicious by Catherine McCord
- Simple, healthy recipes that follow the one family/one meal mantra.
- Blog: Weelicious.com
Dinner: A Love Story by Jenny Rosenstrach
- 120 healthy, family-friendly recipes covering all the milestones and stages of family life.
- Blog: DinnerALoveStory.com
How to Feed A Family by Laura Keogh and Ceri Marsh
- Simple, easy to follow recipes using healthy readily available ingredients.
- Blog: SweetPotatoChronicles.com
The Plantiful Table by Andrea Duclos
- Plant-based recipes to please the pickiest kids and the hungriest adults.
- Blog: OhDearDreaBlog.com
RELATED: How to Eat Healthy on a Budget.
Healthy Cookbooks with a Plant-Based Focus
These cookbooks focus on vegan or vegetarian recipes using wholesome, sustainably grown ingredients.
The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon
- Mouthwatering vegan recipes that even meat-eaters will love (includes many gluten-free and allergy friendly recipes).
- Blog: OhSheGlows.com
Minimalist Baker’s Everyday Cooking by Dana Shultz
- 101 simple, plant-based recipes that require 10 ingredients or less, can be made in one bowl, or require 30 minutes or less to prepare.
- Blog: MinimalistBaker.com
The Weekday Vegetarians by Jenny Rosenstratch
- Over 100 recipes featuring family-friendly, plant-based foods that make being a part-time vegetarian easy!
- Blog: Dinner a Love Story
Eat More Plants by Molly Krebs
- The author’s goal is to turn everyday veggies into meals you’ll crave – and she delivers! I’ve enjoyed many of the recipes in this book!
- Blog: Spices in my DNA
Love Real Food by Kathryne Taylor
- Approachable, delicious vegetarian recipes designed to help you eat well and feel well.
- Blog: Cookie + Kate
Crazy Sexy Kitchen by Kris Carr
- 150 plant-powered recipes designed to nourish and heal your body.
- Blog: KrisCarr.com
My New Roots by Sarah Britton
- Healthy, plant-based recipes for every season.
- Blog: MyNewRoots.org
The Forest Feast by Erin Gleeson
- Simple vegetarian recipes that use only a handful of ingredients and take minimal steps to make.
- Blog: TheForestFeast.com
Deliciously Ella by Ella Woodward
- 100+ delicious plant-based, dairy-free and gluten-free recipes.
- Blog: DeliciouslyElla.com
Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson
- An inspiring cookbook with 100 whole-foods based, vegetarian recipes.
- Blog: 101Cookbooks.com
The Tofu Chicken Cookbook by Plant Power Couple
- Change your mind about tofu with these mindblowing tofu cutlet recipes.
- Blog: Plant Power Couple
Healthy Cookbooks for Special Diets
These cookbooks cover specialty diets including gluten-free, paleo, keto, dairy-free, grain-free and allergy-friendly recipes.
Against All Grain by Danielle Walker
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo recipes to help you eat well and feel great.
- Blog: AgainstAllGrain.com
Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo
- A customized approach to the paleo diet including meal plans and over 150 easy recipes.
- Blog: BalancedBites.com
Lexi’s Clean Kitchen by Alexis Kornblum
- A practical approach to clean eating with 150 paleo-friendly recipes.
- Blog: LexisCleanKitchen.com
Eating Clean by Amie Valpone
- A 21 day detox plan to fight inflammation and reset your body, including over 200 vegetarian, dairy-free and gluten-free recipes.
- Blog: TheHealthyApple.com
Nom Nom Paleo by Michelle Tam
- Fool-proof paleo and gluten-free recipes to please the family.
- Blog: NomNomPaleo.com
Let’s Celebrate: A Low-Carb Cookbook for Year-Round Entertaining by Natasha Newton
- The ultimate guide to low-carb entertaining including keto-friendly appetizers, salads, main dishes, desserts, and beverages, all with a Southern twist.
- Blog: Natasha’s Southern Flavor
Simply Keto by Suzanne Ryan
- Simple low-carb, high-fat recipes, shopping tips and meal plans to help you follow a ketogenic diet.
- Blog: KetoKarma.com
Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry by Elana Amsterdam
- Gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, paleo recipes that are family friendly and delicious.
- Blog: ElanasPantry.com
What are your favorite healthy cookbooks? Share in the comments!