Last weekend my husband and I went shopping in the basement. Not Filene’s Basement, but our very own basement/storage room that is filled to the brim with stuff that has no better place to go. We went searching for picture frames but came upstairs with a jackpot of long-forgotten goodies with which to decorate our home!
Various remodeling/redecorating projects over the years meant that many perfectly good household items made their way to the basement and never came back out. Seriously – I had forgotten about many of them! What fun it was to rediscover things and put them back into circulation…we were redecorating without spending a dime! Here are a few of the things that we found…
- An old wall clock that has finally returned to the kitchen (it had been taken down when we last painted the kitchen)
- A beautiful hand-blown glass vase that goes perfectly with our kitchen decor.
- Vintage pottery pieces we have collected over the years. It’s great to put them back into the mix again….I tend to rotate things like this.
- My old juicer that I had banished to the basement after I got my VitaMix. (I had forgotten how much I love carrot juice from a regular juicer – the VitaMix version is too thick for my taste.)
- An old coffee grinder that just might be cleaned out and put into use for spices.
- A metal bar that my husband repurposed as a sunglasses holder for the coat closet.
All that plus at least 8 picture frames that we updated with new photos. It saved me a trip to the store and my husband was thrilled to have current photos for his desk at work!