This easy eco-craft is perfect for a child’s birthday party or for a child to give as holiday gifts to friends or relatives. All you need are some felted sweaters (find directions for felting wool sweaters in this post from a few years back), some embroidery thread, a pin or two and a large sewing needle. Then follow these simple directions:
- Cut squares out of felted sweater material for coaster base.
- Cut shapes out of felted material in contrasting colors. I use cookie cutters to create a cardboard template for the shapes – hearts, stars or whatever you like!
- Have your child choose a coaster base, a decorative shape and some embroidery thread.
- Pin the shape on the square.
- Help them thread the needle and get them started sewing.
- Tie the thread in a knot on the bottom when they are finished.
Voila! A pretty, easy, eco-friendly, handmade gift! My almost 7 year old son whipped up a few of these the other day in a jiffy. Frankly, I was surprised at how much he enjoyed sewing – he kept wanting to make more! I did this for an event at the boy’s school as well and it was big fun!
Do you ever make eco-crafts with your kids? What’s your favorite idea?
Looking for more DIY ideas? My Make It Green page lists all of my DIY crafts and recipes in one place!
(This post is linked up to Do Something Crafty Friday on The Crafty Nest and Your Green Resource at The Greenbacks Gal and a kids craft round-up on Healthy Child Healthy World)