Swim suits, towels, healthy snacks – check! Sounds like you’re ready to head to the pool or the beach. But what about the sunscreen?
Are you still using conventional, chemical-based sunscreens – the kind found at most drugstores or mass merchants? If you’re ready to make the switch to safer sunscreen products, here are a few that my kids and I have tested out over the past few years.
These brands have a few key things in common:
- All are physical sun blockers, meaning they act as a barrier on the skin. The active ingredient in most is zinc oxide, and a couple are a blend of both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Chemical sunscreens, on the other hand, penetrate the skin and may disrupt your hormone system – not a good thing!
- Use non-nano zinc oxide and titanium dioxide due to concerns that extremely small nanoparticles may be absorbed into the skin and bloodstream.
- All but one are top rated by the EWG as safe sunscreens (rating of 1 out of 10). The one exception is the Goddess Garden Continuous Spray, which is rated a 3 due to concerns about spray inhalation. My kids BEG me for spray sunscreen and Goddess Garden is the safest one I’ve found. To be safe, spray in well-ventilated areas and never directly on the face.
- Are SPF 30 to 50 – the smartest choice if you are planning to be enjoying the outdoors for a while!
- Provide both UVA and UVB protection.
- All are unscented with the lone exception of Juice Beauty, which uses a few essential oils for a very light scent that I happen to love.
- Rub in reasonably easily, without leaving a white residue on the skin. I’ve found that there’s been a huge improvement on this front – even compared to a few years ago!
Here’s where to find them*:
Do you have a favorite safer sunscreen brand? Tell me why you love it in the comments!
(*Disclosure: Mindful Momma uses affiliate links. If you make a purchase through a link, I may receive a small commission, at no extra charge to you. Thank you for supporting Mindful Momma!)